Stone engravings offer glimpses into Cheng Hoon Teng’s built history.
Kapitan Li Wei King laid the foundations for the first temple - a modest structure with a single bay. In 1704, Kapitan Chan Ki Lock added two auxiliary halls, while Kapitan Chua Su Cheong rebuilt much of the temple in 1801. Further modifications were made in 1845,1867, and 1904. The next major repair was undertaken only in 1963. Subsequent works appeared to have involved mainly maintenance and cosmetic repairs.